Revealed: The Top 10 Highest Paid CEOs in FashionPosted: July 31, 2012
By HAYLEY PHELAN Monday, Jul 30, 2012 / 10:00 AM
We all know that those at the tippy top of the fashion industry make a lot of money–but just how much is not as well known.
WWD is reporting the total 2011 earnings of fashion’s top 67 CEOs in the US, which public companies were required to release to the Securities and Exchange Commission. And, well, let’s just say these guys are rolling in it, with salaries ranging from $5 mil to upwards of $50 million.
As WWD points out, these numbers take into account stock options, and will fluctuate depending on stock price. It also means that CEOs will only receive a portion of their reported salaries in actual cash–the rest is only valuable on paper (as in tied up in stocks, not liquid). Not that it matters when we’re dealing with numbers upwards of $20 million.
While we were surprised how high some of the numbers actually were (ahem, struggling JC Penney‘s CEO Ron Johnson got the top spot), we were also surprised to see people we normally think of as designers make the top 10 list, including Ralph Lauren and Reed Krakoff. While not as surprising–though a lot more sad–there were only six women who made the list of 67, and none of them ranked above 20.
Click through to see the list of top 10 earners and get ready to fee a lot poorer than you already did.
1. Ron Johnson, ceo, J.C. Penney
Total 2011 Pay: $53,281,505
2. Michael Jeffries, chairman and CEO, Abercrombie & Fitch
Total 2011 Pay: $48,069,473
3. Neil Cole, president and CEO, Iconix
Total 2011 Pay: $37,424,782
4. Ralph Lauren, chairman and CEO, Ralph Lauren
Total 2011 Pay: $36,325,782
5. Mark Parker, CEO and president, Nike
Total 2011 Pay: $35,212,678
6. Myron E. “Mike” Ullman 3rd, former chairman and CEO, J.C. Penney
Total 2011 Pay: $34,561,322
7. Michael Kramer, chief operating officer, J.C. Penney
Total 2011 Pay: $33,370,607
8. Reed Krakoff, president and executive creative director, Coach
Total 2011 Pay: $21,188,980
9. Daniel Walker, chief talent officer, J.C. Penney
Total 2011 Pay: $20,201,219
10. Gregg Steinhafel, chairman, president and CEO, Target
Total 2011 Pay: $19,707,107